We all lie. Fact. The Art of Lying is an artistic exploration into how and why we lie to each other and to ourselves. Over the course of this ten-week project, street performances, interactive projects and public art works will be taking place in and around Taunton, Somerset, so keep checking for updates.
Also, click on the 'Research Page' tab to find links, videos & relevant reading.

Tuesday 23 November 2010

Mini-Project 6 - Contextualisation & Plausibility

Duration: 23rd - 29th November

For this project, I aim to explore the usefulness of 'context' while lying. It's all very well being able to lie in the moment, but what if evidence or discrepancies in a story lead the person being lied to to the truth? In order to lie with complete plausibility, every little detail of a story should be considered.
I will be asking people to answer the following multiple-choice questions. One of each of the three statements is true, while the others are lies. I will also present each person with an additional choice; that of the way in which I present the questions.

Choice 1: They read the options from the paper, while I sit in silence, subtly highlighting the correct answer in my posture and facial expressions.

Choice 2: I read the options to them, subtly highlighting the correct answer in my speech.

Choice 3: I read the options to them, following each with a brief explanation. 

Choice 4: I allow them to search through my (prepared) bag in order to find evidence pointing to the right answer.

If all goes to plan, the people who select choice 4 should get many more questions right than those who go for choice 1.

Gender:
Age:      
Context:

My name is Thomas                                                
My name is James                                                
My name is Phil      
                                              
I am 18 years old                                                       
I am 21 years old                                                       
I am 23 years old                                                       

I am a smoker                                                       
I am a non-smoker                                                
I am an ex-smoker                                                

I take the bus                                                       
I ride a bike                                                              
I drive a car                                                              

I have tattoos                                                       
I have no tattoos                                                       
I want tattoos                                                       

I am a lifeguard                                                      
I am a waiter                                                       
I am unemployed                                                

I am right-handed                                               
I am left-handed                                                       
I am ambidextrous                                                

I have one sister                                                       
I have one brother                                                
I am an only child                                                

I am single                                                              
I am in a relationship                                                
I am engaged                                                       

My favourite colour is red                                         
My favourite colour is blue                                  
My favourite colour is purple                                  

My favourite writer is Cormac McCarthy             
My favourite writer is Jose Saramago                     
My favourite writer is John Berger                           

I used to be a vegetarian                                         
I have been a vegetarian for the past year             
I have been a vegetarian for the past 2 months      

I play the bass guitar                                                
I play the saxophone                                                
I play the drums                                                       

I am a Christian                                                       
I am a Buddhist                                                       
I am an atheist                                                       

I prefer romantic movies                                        
I prefer horror movies                                         
I prefer science fiction movies                

Feel free to answer these questions yourself, and post below in the comments section. Please bear in mind that the choice of deliveries is limited to reading from the screen, but feel free to phone me if you have my number so that I can read them to you, using either delivery choice 2 or 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment