We all lie. Fact. The Art of Lying is an artistic exploration into how and why we lie to each other and to ourselves. Over the course of this ten-week project, street performances, interactive projects and public art works will be taking place in and around Taunton, Somerset, so keep checking for updates.
Also, click on the 'Research Page' tab to find links, videos & relevant reading.

Monday 11 October 2010

Mini-Project 1 - The Book of Lies

Duration: 12th - 22nd October

A number of blank books are left at various locations around Taunton, asking people to share their lies:

Dear reader,

Do you have something you want to get off your chest? Or do you want to play make-believe?
Inside you will find blank pages. Please use these pages to share a lie you’ve told, or tell a new one.

Be creative,
Be sincere,
Be profound,
Be funny,
Draw a picture,
Use a whole page or just a corner,
Leave your name or remain anonymous:
Express it in any way you want: it’s your lie!

I ask only that you do not swear, or use this as a way to hurt or offend others. The book will be checked everyday, and any entries deemed to be inappropriate may be edited or removed, sorry. Share a lie for your own peace of mind or satisfaction, and enjoy the freedom.

This is the first mini-project of a ten-week long artistic exploration into the art of lying. Your contribution may influence a future event, performance or artwork, so keep an eye out! If you want to be kept up to date on this project and future ones, please leave your e-mail on the back page, or visit:

http://the-art-of-lying.blogspot.com

Thanks, and please don’t steal the pen!
Olio & Farina - Taunton
Tournedo's No.1 - Taunton


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 After ten days, the books were collected in. Below is a full list of the contributions:

•    Whoever said length isn’t important is a fool or a liar!

•    “Mine’s 8 inches!”

•    Liar, liar, pants on fire!

•    The Lord’s my Shepard, I shall not want. He makes me down to lie…

•    When the boss at work asks me where one of my colleagues is, I will only tell him where he was working last, even when I know he’s not at work. I’m not lying to the boss, but I don’t tell him the truth either.

•    My mother has a habit of always asking me how much my hair has cost me… why, why? And for some reason, I can never tell her the truth!

•    “We lie to protect!”

•    “Lies, damned lies & statistics.”

•    But the truth has a habit of coming out. So who we tried to protect will get even more hurt!??

•    Of course I don’t fancy her.

•    “What this old thing? New? No, I’ve had it for ages, found it in the back of a cupboard.

•    I LIKE CHEESE ☺ xxx

•     - The lie of the land - Check it out first…

•    LIES ARE BAD

•    I love you!

•    This book is a really good idea! Honestly!











•    New? Of course these aren’t new, I’ve had them for ages!

•    “It really doesn’t matter what you say… Just say it once and say it with confidence and people will always believe you.” – My Dad.

•    Thank you Readers & contributors,
We have reached the mid-way part of this government-sponsored trial.
The aim of this project is to identify new and innovative ways to ‘pull the wool over your eyes’ YES YOU the proletariat…
Keep them coming…
Already agreed lies to look out for?
Vote for me, I have your interests at heart (My how we laughed at that one!!)
NO NEW TAXES! (Please, how gullible are you?)
OK, due to cutbacks we can no longer continue with this proj…

•    “So then, tell me a lie you’ve told me” she said.
“I don’t tell you lies!” he said.

•    “I’m delighted to see you!”

•    “I’m fine, thanks.”

•    Those harem pants really suit you – isn’t it great that they’re back in fashion?

•    When I was a kid, mum and dad would often go out for the evening and leave us & trust us to go to bed on time. We’d often still be up when they came home and would point to the clock, saying: But it’s only eight o’clock.” The clock in the living room would often stop. Very often when mum and dad went out. My guess is that they knew full well that we stopped the clock ourselves. They never said.

•    “Christine, did you cut the cat’s whiskers off?”
“No daddy.”

•    Mother in law gives gift and enthusiastically declares “Isn’t it nice!”
“Thank you, yes!”

•    I never lie!











•    Breast-feeding is just so easy – anybody can do it.

•    The statement below is TRUE…
The statement above is FALSE…

•    King David wrote: “All men are lions”
Now, David was a man…

•    “Er…So sorry we didn’t see Judith…”

•    Having woken up on Valentine’s Day with my reasonably new boyfriend, I was slightly miffed to discover no card/ no flowers. Throughout the day I slowly got more and more annoyed. After discussing the situation with a close friend, we decided to pay him back for his lack of thought.
Off I went to the local town & bought myself 6 red roses! Then rushed back to my house before he got home to pretend they had been delivered & I thought they were from him. I even wrote on the card … “Love?”
He turned up an hour later. 12 red roses, dinner booked in a restaurant, saw the roses I had bought – I thanked him for both.
He never admitted he didn’t send them, & I never admitted I bought them.
Needless to say we didn’t last!













•    Honest Dad, I promise I didn’t put dolly mixtures in the VCR, it was Sooty (the cat!)

•    Kids love them…… Sometimes a joy
Sometimes a pain…… but they are ours. Our choice!

•    My 18-month-old son is the next Rolf Harris!! ☺

•    My husband only told me he was infertile after I became pregnant!

No comments:

Post a Comment